#cythera now passworded

• #cythera is now a passworded channel, mainly to keep out spammers and unwanted guests. The password is currently: alaric
    The password will be changed from time to time and the new password posted in this topic. Please spread the word to #cythera'ers who don't visit the Cythera Boards. Opinions, comments, flames? Post 'em here and blame Ty. ;)

------------------
    "Anything is possible, except skiing through a revolving door."

• Unwanted guests? Spammers? What did I miss?

------------------
    The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail

• Pffffft....NO PASSWORDS!!!! :frown:

------------------
    Legends fade and die.

Thinking for yourself is a wonderful thing.

• Erm, take two :) Forgot a key thing in the idea. People's opinions.
    Poll: Should #cythera be passworded?

------------------

• I vote no, but I still don't know what prompted it in the first place.

------------------
    The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail

• Somewhat spur of the moment�Anyway, doesn't loook like its going to pass�3 against, none for. I'm staying neutral.

------------------

• no comment, no irc client. :D

------------------
    "I have a personal life, y'know! I just don't use it."
    The Shadow is coming to Nova...

• In a bit, I'll be posting a log of the pros and cons of passwording, in which me, Ty and and other people (cache, GB, etc) discuss passwording. However, it needs editting, which I will shortly do.

------------------

• This has been editted to take out side conversation and irrelevant comments. Odysseus= idiotSavant
    Tyrael=Avatara

"Odysseus: Here are the reasons I can think of.
    Odysseus: pro- like you said, it keeps out spammers, keeps #ev3 invasions from happening and some pesky people
    Odysseus: con- We have few enough people as it is, passwording it will pretty much put a cap on its growth
    Tyrael: my opinion of your statement: if we want more people to attend, they should come from the boards. we've already set our standards and model of the community and atmosphere we want to attain there. I think its best to recruit people that share interests, rather than just drag random people from other channels that happened to drop by
    cache_afk: true enough
    Tyrael: and by posting the password publically in the area we want to recruit from, we can limit it to those people
    Odysseus: well, Kat got Leq and Blackfern from #ev3
    Odysseus: My point is that almost everyone from Cythera willing to come to chatrooms have come
    Odysseus: Ty, I've gone to #ev3. I don't like it there. However, some people from #ev3 could make a good addition to #cythera
    Tyrael: if they really want to come to #cythera and become a part of the community here, is it so hard to go to the cythera board and look in a public topic for the password?
    Odysseus: It makes it more of a bother.
    Tyrael: kind of like hiring mods makes it a bother to keep spammers down, but in the end result it turns out to be a good thing
    Odysseus: If I wanted to check out a channel, just to see what it was like, I wouldn't want to check what the password was just to see what it was like
    Tyrael: #sanity seems to have no problems
    Odysseus: thats a bit different then #cythera
    Odysseus: Before I came to the Cythera boards, I came here. If it had been passworded, chances are that I wouldn't have bothered
    Tyrael: yes, I have no problem with recruiting people...my problem lies when they bring their attitudes from the other channels with them
    Odysseus: They learn to adapt
    Tyrael: for the most part, people from other channels don't realize we have standards here that differ from theirs
    Tyrael: I know there are good reasons for not passwording cythera, I just haven't heard them yet
    Tyrael: for once I have withheld my vote until I learn a bit more about both sides :p
    GlueBubble: There isn't a good reason to password it, in my humble opinion.
    Tyrael: I don't think it will be over in a matter of days
    Odysseus: I take it you don't except growth as a reason
    Tyrael: I don't understand your point of view in that Ody
    Tyrael: and I think you are missing mine
    cache_afk: 'no' was an instinctive reaction; it'll take a bit of soul-searching if you want a reason ;)
    Tyrael: cache, time is a commodity in excess
    cache_afk: heh
    Tyrael: for this topic ;)
    GlueBubble: Do you seriously think that a casual visitor who sees #cythera on the listing will bother to go find the Cythera forums, load them, find the password topic, load it, and use the key to get in?
    Odysseus: They wouldn't see #cythera on a channel list
    *** Mode change "-s" on #cythera by Odysseus
    *** Mode change "+s" on #cythera by Odysseus
    Odysseus: +s, #cythera doesn't show up
    GlueBubble: You'll essentially be cutting off your community to the Cythera forums, and word of mouth -- and I don't think that any of you are out proclaiming the word of #cythera.
    Tyrael: Ody, I've been around much longer than you
    Odysseus: Ty, I have made a moron of myself, and was kickbanned several times. I'm still here.
    Tyrael: we are +s currently, if growth was such a concern, why have +s?
    Tyrael: but you returned, they didn't
    GlueBubble: I wouldn't +s either :p
    Tyrael: you have a point in stunting growth with a password, but you also haven't proven your determination in recruiting more people to #cythera
    Odysseus: okay, I'll move on to that
    Tyrael: and preferably not from the riff-raff on #ev3
    Odysseus: one sec, I need to back track
    Odysseus: Yes, I came back, but if #cythera had been passworded on me, I could have or would have gotton the message several kick bans clearly didn't give me
    Odysseus: Passwording it is like moving to another server
    Tyrael: we should've had this debate on the boards, would've made it easier for people to understand the different views
    Log was closed a little while later, as Tyrael had to leave.

(edit)Didn't you frighten me off? ;)(/edit)

------------------

(This message has been edited by idiotSavant (edited 07-11-2002).)

(This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 07-11-2002).)

• About #sanity...it is composed of regulars, who have become tired of #ev3 or never liked it in the first place -- we're alright with it being small...we handpick any new additions. I'm not sure if that's what you're going for with #cythera.

------------------
    Legends fade and die.

• Global Moderator

Originally posted by theKestrel:
    **About #sanity...it is composed of regulars, who have become tired of #ev3 or never liked it in the first place -- we're alright with it being small...we handpick any new additions. I'm not sure if that's what you're going for with #cythera.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a small friendly societly like that, but its not exactly my decision.

------------------
    "Next time you want a revelation, could you chose a method that is perhaps less painful?"

(This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 07-12-2002).)

Originally posted by Avatara:
    **Actually, I wouldn't mind a small friendly societly like that, but its not exactly my decision.

Well, the very nature of #cythera -- a community that is surrounded (or initially was) around a public game by a public company...it just lends itself to leaving the community easily accessible to those who wish to join on a whim. That's just my view on it...that and I hate keys. :p

------------------
    Legends fade and die.

• I hope nobody considered me a spammer when I was dropping in the channel. I was trying to fix the bot that was stationed there until it was taken down by the owner.

A bit of advice. I wouldn't password protect #cythera. It shows a xenophobic nature and might frighten those who want to be constructive members of the Cythera community. I have seen many channels die because of this.

-thrawn

------------------
    (url="http://"mailto:thrawn@ev-nova.net")mailto:thrawn@ev-nova.net(/url)thrawn@ev-nova.net