The Cythera Web Board

• Please read and offer opinion

The web board has seen its better days and its worse days.
    Lately there have been some slower days (not as slow as sometimes in the past). I suspect that this has something to do with the lack of an immediate plot in the TS. Also, some members simply don't have the time to post.
    However, the web board does not seem to be gaining very many new active members. Some of those that do join do not seem interested in the TSs or the Tavern (Jehezkal is a welcome exception to this trend).
    Why is this?
    Have the TSs become dull?
    Has the world of Cythera become a stagnant place?
    Is the game of Cythera too old and little updated (or advertised) to gain the interest of new members?
    Is the web board too slow because of fewer members to interest people?
    What is your opinion? And, if you have one, please state what you think should be done to fix it.

To me, the slowness of the boards seems to contribute. The boards have began to become slightly boring to me because few other people ever seem to be here. (I would like to point out that if people don't post because of the slowness of the boards they will be even slower.)

Even if you are not a regular member of the Cythera, please post your opinion here. Everyone, please post something.

• Frankly, I don't know what will help. Cythera is getting old. Cythera X will probably help, but who knows how far away that is.

There is one proposition I would like to make, though: Perhaps more ideas need to be posted in the "Shadowy Ideas" Thread. This would grant members better coordination in posts and allow the TS to move along faster, hopefully.

• Adding on the what The Wizard said, you're not going to get any more interest in Cythera, due quite simply to the fact it's an OS9 game. It might peak a little interest here and there, but unless it runs natively it's not going to pick up much again.

So, yeah, X us for the good of humanity!

• I am chiefly curious as to whether people are still find the TSs enjoyable or if they have lost some of their enjoyment over the years. I know that the game is getting old, but the TSs don't seem to be enjoyable enough to get people to be interested in them. Is this because some of them have never played the game? Do most people not even investigate the TSs unless they have played the game?

• At the moment it seems as if the TS isn't really getting very far, its just moving from one small problem to the next and not really getting any further. One of the reasons I haven't really posted for a while is because all I will really be posting at the moment is a fill in post. The other reason being that I have quite a lot more homework (which I don't like). I am going to post something but it probably wont be all that long.

• I used to post here every once in a while but frankly things have gotten just a little out of hand. Let me explain:
    The Cythera TSs have absolutely nothing to do with Cythera. The characters people create all come from far off lands, have super human powers, powerful magics, flashy magial weapons, laserbeams for eyes and/or pointy ears. None of them have any connection to the original Cythera with all it's political intrigue, Cthulhu undertones, mysterious ruins and simple peasent folk.

There were, I think, a total of three magic weapons in Cythera. Magic had to be learned from careful study. Skills had to be learnt from skilled trainers. These superhuman characters have no place in the original Cythera- most of them could defeat the Land King, and all his guards and any other lichlord, hydra or demon that stood in their way single handed.
    Despite all this they all seem content to spend their time in a tavern or on a "quest" to kill whatever massive demon army that has been conjoured up to present any kind of threat to these "heros"...

Anyway, that's what I think.

Az

• It seems that in the past neither the Tavern nor the TS's were taken very seriously. They were, as Az pointed out, not very connected to the game. But to say that, "The Cythera TSs have absolutely nothing to do with Cythera." is taking it too far. Without Cythera the TS's lose a lot of meaning. At least for me the TS's meant a whole lot more after I'd played the game for a while. If I didn't have an ancient computer (Performa 575), I wouldn't be here today.

Now that i've blathered for a while, I'd like to conclude by saying that the web board is too slow because of fewer members that interest people. (Maybe too many people are busy with school?)

• Cythera will always hold a special place in my heart because of it's atmosphere.
    The only thing I can think of that kept it from gaining the popularity of EV is the modularity aspect. Who knows? Warrior Kings has worse graphics, yet a lot of people play that. I know, MMORPG versus CRPG, and god forbid if Cythera ever becomes an MMORPG... (Not going to happen in the first place)
    I digress. It would be real fun if Cythera had the modularity of PoG. I have been detached from this universe for a while, though. Has anyone 'ported' Cythera to Coldstone? It would be difficult without an editor. Perhaps that's the best we could hope for, an editor that would ease the port of Cythera to the Coldstone game engine? I'm sure there are topics on this...
    After a quick search, it seems Talos has taken this on as a project?

• I believe Coldstone is still broken under 10.3 (the reason ASW still won't accept licenses for it), which makes using that a bit...well, problematic. Cythera is being ported to OSX with might help keep it alive longer, and we'll see if that brings any modification possibilities.

I also think Talos has all but left the Cythera boards.

• The reason i don't post a lot here is school, i have about 6.5 weeks of school left. So I am really focusing on my homework and keeping my grades up. Also, my mini/sucky/free forum on my site, thanks to Bravenet, somewhat takes up my time. I talk over msn with my friends and we talk about our posts, somewhat. It feels somehow more fun when you know the people that you ts with for more than five years, because you sometimes can guess how they will react and make your post funny to them and not piss them off.

And Kentonis forgot about the ts he joined in, and just now checked out cythera and noticed there was a ts. Sometimes games and HTML and programing let you forget about this place. He just asked me if he could join. He also says it would be really fun (three people doing a ts sometimes isn't all that exciting). I've also noticed that the current tses have lost the touch of those great old archived tses. I started posting here and getting involved in this, because my brother spent so much time on it. I read the tses my brother did and was fascinated by how good it was. When i posted i noticed it didn't come close to his, but what kept me here was the idea that i would be able to help make more great tses that would get archived.

Then i got distracted and i think i started doing html, and about a year later, I remembered the ts that i had joined and forgotten about. I had missed so much, like the bandit raid and so on. Then the ts died because we didn't know where to go from Pynx.

Possibly if Ambrosia came out with say "Cythera Reloaded" or something like that, which had possible better graphics (but still from same top view) and added maybe an extra plot twist here and there. I would play that as much as Avernum 3 or UT04 and maybe be convinced to spend a little bit more of my time here...

I'm participating in the Cythera X beta testing, but there is a very annoying bug in Omen's test, you have to be extremely careful about what you do.

Thats all.

-Dark Jet

• Yes I know I appered for about a month and then was gone, but the simple truth is, Cythera is for mac and I don't have a mac, and probably never will. Now I will not start the which is better thing <_< . So the problem was I didn't know anything about Cythera and had no way of finding out. Add the fact it's old and has bad graphics and I can list about 7 other games off of the top of my head I'd rather play, now, u may ask WTH i'm doing on the Ambrosia webboards and the truth is I just like to TS and so I came around. So I suppose I really can't say anything, i've got a computer with a windows operating system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Plz, don't take any offence by what I said, I wouldn't mind trying Cythera but I can't. And from what I hear there are faster games with better graphics that would draw many more peoples attention. If anyone thinks I should get the hell off of the webboard I understand their reasoning. And my comment about the mac pc thing was simply put there because I don't like people dissing mac's or pc's they each have their uses, but my family doesn't agree with me so I can't get a mac, besides it's not like I could jsut go out and buy one, and wouldn't just to play one game, ya know? In my mind one game isnt' worth a couple thousand dollars.

This post has been edited by Kentonis 8356 : 20 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

• Off-topic:
    Dark Jet, in response to Kentonis request, I personally would not mind if Kentonis joined (I actually wish he would), but that is up to Avatara (not me so there is not much else I can do except for agree.)
    Also out of curiosity, what was your brother's web board name on the old TSs?
    Back on topic:

I agree that the recent TSs seem to have lost the touch of the old ones.
    Actually, I think it had perhaps a little to with my earlier thoughts. I had hoped more frequent posting would help.
    If people posted more frequently and TSs moved faster, would it help this problem? Or is it that people are not introducing enough side plots and unique ideas to make the recent TSs as good as the old ones? Is there perhaps not enough creativity and independent thinking happening in the TSs right now?
    I agree that other activities can make one forget about the board. I'd like to find a way to make the web board a recreational activity that would occur to people when they want to do something for fun (such as play a game or something).

Everyone please continue to post your opinions. It might help if you include what you think might be a solution to the problem.

• Selax, on Apr 20 2005, 07:30 PM, said:

Off-topic:
    Dark Jet, in response to Kentonis request, I personally would not mind if Kentonis joined (I actually wish he would), but that is up to Avatara (not me so there is not much else I can do except for agree.)�
    Back on topic:
    Actually, I think it had perhaps a little to with my earlier thoughts.� I had hoped more frequent posting would help.
    If people posted more frequently and TSs moved faster, would it help this problem?� Or is it that people are not introducing enough side plots and unique ideas to make the recent TSs as good as the old ones?� Is there perhaps not enough creativity and independent thinking happening in the TSs right now?�
    I agree that other activities can make one forget about the board.� I'd like to find a way to make the web board a recreational activity that would occur to people when they want to do something for fun (such as play a game or something).

Everyone please continue to post your opinions.� It might help if you include what you think might be a solution to the problem.
    View Post

Truthfully I think that something quite comon in TS now days is they are all the same, slay a dragon, slay a troll, save the world. We have all heard it before, I think that what would really help the TS's out would be simply to come up and introduce an origional Idea based within the Cythera world. I kinda agree with Aben Zin about the power of the people joining. I think there should be a set limit on the power a charecter is allowed and how much he is allowed to increase that after X amount of time. Say u count time with posts so that like ur charecter can get ONE magical ability after 15 posts or 20 or even 30, but I think that the number should be resonable enough to keep peoples intrest.

Off-Topic: Thanks for wanting me in the ts :laugh:

This post has been edited by Kentonis 8356 : 21 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

• Maybe some of the action should be replaced with puzzles. That way people can say, (to themselves at least), "I have a great idea for how to solve this problem!" and quickly move the story ahead before somebody beats them to it. Also you can't just blast your way through puzzles, so even a powerful mage doesn't have much of an advantage over a tailor.

Side quests are good. But I think that they should fulfill the main quest in a small way, and not simply be parallel to it.

Those two things, (and I suppose that a puzzle is just a different kind of side quest), should be worked by most of the posters. That said, one more thing that causes problems, (and it's basically out of our control), is when someone integral to the quest can't post due to computer failure, or a sudden increase in necessary study hours.

I hope I hit the correct nail on the head with that. :unsure:

P.S. Is my character too powerful? I know a decent way I could fix it. :cool:

This post has been edited by Jehezekel : 21 April 2005 - 11:40 PM

• I think the problem with people's characters for team stories is that they are all, to a degree, a projections of their creators own ideal self, or personal desires- which is all well and good but doesn't really make for interesting characters from a narrative perspective. They are all either super heros or super villians and I think this leads to a case of "to many cooks(...)". Hence all the characters I've created in the character info topics are all frankly fairly inept and, because it's me making them, none to serious.

I think it'd help if people remembered that Team Stories are just that- stories. Set out to entertain when you post and, if everyone else does likewise, the story becomes that much more interesting.

What might help would be a GM- which is to say someone with no character who could set scenes, control the story arc and generally throw nasty things (and the occasional shiney item or interesting spell) toward the characters.

Anyway, that's enough ranting for now.

Az

• I want a bucket override, so I can put anything in a bucket. I want to put cheese in a bucket, a table in a bucket, Magpie in a bucket, Odemia in a bucket, hell, I want to put Mater Theia in a bucket. This, I believe, can only be accomplished in a TS; Cythera will only let me put milk or water in a bucket. It won't even let me mix milk and water, so I can get half-and-half.
    "Putting wine in a bucket is a crude and boorish thing to do."
    Damn it!

• Selax, on Apr 20 2005, 08:30 PM, said:

Off-topic:
    Dark Jet, in response to Kentonis request, I personally would not mind if Kentonis joined (I actually wish he would), but that is up to Avatara (not me so there is not much else I can do except for agree.)
    Back on topic:
    Actually, I think it had perhaps a little to with my earlier thoughts. I had hoped more frequent posting would help.
    View Post

Frequent posting won't really help, its the way the post is posted. Oh and btw, my brother has informed me that you know who he is, and anyone else dont tell anyone else who he is.

anyways...Puzzels might help make it more interesting but to me is that people don't put as much creativity in them like in say the Void TS. That was interesting, and that wasn't about saving the day, it was exploring and trying to get back to LKH before the void closed and you were trapped there for the rest of your life. So there are different goals to achieve other than the old save the world. I mean look at Dune for example, the reason the empire doesn't blow Dune up is because it is the only planet with spice left on it. So come up with more goals for the TS to achieve.

Thats what i think the main problem is, it doesn't matter how many people you have doing a ts. I have two friends and me doing a ts, and it works pretty good, and we have no predetermined goal to achieve, and that helps our tses last that much longer. The only reason we might not finish it is because it gets boring.

• I appreciate the opinions posted here so far. Please keep posting ideas on what you think the problem is and on how best to fix it.

• Hey! I'm not sure if this is the right topic/thread/whatever to be posting in (as you can see, I'm somewhat new to forums, etc.) but here I am. I'm by no means new to Cythera, but this is my first venture into the online community . . . I'm glad to see there still is one :D

I've started using mIRC (I'm on #cythera as I write this), but I am new to the whole IRC scene as well, so bear with me :p

Anyway, all that having been said, it's really great to be here, finding other ppl who love Cythera as much as I do, and I look forward to being a part of keeping the world of Cythera alive.

- Koth

btw, I'm on a PC right now, but I do have access to a mac . . . what's the status of Cythera X?

• Cythera X is still in its beta stage, most of the bugs seem to have been ironed out but there are still a few to be fixed. It will be great when the finished product is finally released.