is it just me?

• is it just me, my overactive imagination on coffee or am I hallucinating

Cythera looks likeThe image Minnesota

:huh:

• For those who do not know what Minnesota/Cythera, scroll down! (I didn't want to take up space showing the same thing multiple times)

I can see a little similarity, but not much.
    This makes me think of another issue- how big is Cythera? There don't seem to be very many towns/villages, which I think it would be great if there were. How long would it take to go from Land King Hall to Cademia? No, not seconds, but in real "game life." Someone should just walk around and see how long a Cythera day is, and then do the math for how long it is in real life. Lets say one Cythera day is 12 minutes (real life), then if it takes 30 seconds to go somewhere/do something, it would really take 1 hour. I think we could expand on this.

This post has been edited by Percinator : 26 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

• I would do this but I cannot really play Cythera anymore, classic is laggy :( I was trying to use classic about a week ago and I discovered that the program runs faster on a 350 mhz iMac in OS9 and it does on a 2.3 ghz tower running classic.

This post has been edited by Half Truth : 26 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

• @half-truth_bot, on Oct 26 2006, 05:57 PM, said in is it just me?:

I would do this but I cannot really play Cythera anymore, classic is laggy :( I was trying to use classic about a week ago and I discovered that the program runs faster on a 350 mhz iMac in OS9 and it does on a 2.3 ghz tower running classic.

Heh, heh. I don't even have Classic. I am running Tiger.

Keep scrolling………

This post has been edited by Percinator : 27 October 2006 - 09:54 PM

• Global Moderator

This makes me think of another issue- how big is Cythera? There don't seem to be very many towns/villages, which I think it would be great if there were. How long would it take to go from Land King Hall to Cademia? No, not seconds, but in real "game life." Someone should just walk around and see how long a Cythera day is, and then do the math for how long it is in real life. Lets say one Cythera day is 12 minutes (real life), then if it takes 30 seconds to go somewhere/do something, it would really take 1 hour. I think we could expand on this.

In TSs, I believe that it is generally assumed that the journey from Cademia to Pnyx is at least day, perhaps two or three. Also, I think it is assumed that it takes several days to either travel far north or far south. Of course, I could be wrong on this.

As for Cythera/Minnesota, I'd say that while there might be a little resemblance it probably isn't intentional.

• @it-000_bot, on Oct 25 2006, 05:10 PM, said in is it just me?:

is it just me, my overactive imagination on coffee or am I hallucinating

Just you. :p

@selax_bot, on Oct 26 2006, 10:40 PM, said in is it just me?:

In TSs, I believe that it is generally assumed that the journey from Cademia to Pnyx is at least day, perhaps two or three. Also, I think it is assumed that it takes several days to either travel far north or far south. Of course, I could be wrong on this.

I think that would add a more realistic approach on the idea. Is the island of Cythera based on the island of Kythera? I went on to Google Earth and took a snapshot of the real island of Kithera.

Looks like a cat with a toupee. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Percinator : 27 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

• Global Moderator

I think it looks more like a penguin...

• the second "cat" image looks like a mouse...

• Nooo… It is a cat with a toupee!!!!!!! THE FIRST ONE IS A MOUSE!!! GAHHH!!!!

• @percy_bot, on Oct 28 2006, 03:50 PM, said in is it just me?:

I think that would add a more realistic approach on the idea. Is the island of Cythera based on the island of Kythera?

Quite possibly – there's a book in Pnyx called "The History of Kythera", describing Cythera's history in the game ... At first I thought this was simply a pseudo archaic spelling of Cythera, but seeing as Kythera is an existing place, maybe there's a link.

• Given that Glenn Andreas lives in Minnesota it would be very amusing to discover Cythera to be based on the US state, but I don't think that it is actually the case. Cythera is actually not that similar to the real-life Kythera either, but the basic shape is there. This topic discussed various connections between Cythera and the real world. (Ignore the bizzare exchange that starts after my first post and ends before gandreas's first post in the topic...)

• This topic also discusses some links between Cythera and the real world.