Pronunciation of "Cythera"

• and other unclear Cythera-related issues

Poll: Pronuncation of "Cythera" (16 member(s) have cast votes)
    How do you think "Cythera" should be pronounced?
    Sih-thera
    (5 votes [31.25%])
    Percentage of vote: 31.25%
    Sigh-thera
    (9 votes [56.25%])
    Percentage of vote: 56.25%
    Kih-thera
    (1 votes [6.25%])
    Percentage of vote: 6.25%
    Kye-thera
    (1 votes [6.25%])
    Percentage of vote: 6.25%

This has always bugged me. Because of the flexibility of the letters 'C' and 'Y', there are four feasible ways to pronounce Cythera: Sih-thera, Sigh-thera, Kih-thera or Kye-thera. My instinct, when I first saw the name, was the second one, as I think it sounds nicest :) But there is a book in Land King Hall, or maybe Pnyx, called "the history of Kythera", which talks about Cythera's history in the game. So maybe that's a hint at the pronunciation that Glenn had in mind. I still like mine better ;)

Another thing: I've always wondered, a) whether there is a way to get a 'Karma Gauge' of sorts to see how naughty you've been, and :cool: what impact it actually has in the game. I try to avoid 'soul-staining' acts, and of course there's the move-then-take trick, but how much difference would stealing a key or two make?

EDIT: Oh. That :cool: was actually supposed to be a 'b' with a bracket after it. Damn emoticons.

• I go with the 'K' sound. "kith ur uh" -With the 'th' sound being the one that vibrates.

I also pronounce celtic "kel tik" because in LoTR that's how all the elvish 'C's are pronounced.

• From what I recall from Greek class, it'd actually be more like ku-thay-ra (I'm booted into Windows at the moment, don't remember how to do accented e's). Ku-th{accented-e}-ra.

• Dictionaries say sith-ER-a.

• @buzzzzy_bot, on Dec 1 2006, 09:58 AM, said in Pronunciation of "Cythera":

Dictionaries say sith-ER-a.

Never trust American dictionaries. :p

• @cache22_bot, on Nov 30 2006, 04:43 PM, said in Pronunciation of "Cythera":

Never trust American dictionaries. :p

The Oxford English Dictionary is the ultimate english dictionary!

I do not like using it though, it is hard to find definitions between all the etymology.

• I've always pronounce it "Sih-thera" personally, although I'm willing to bet that cache is probably correct in this case.

By the way, Jehezekel, I too pronounce celtic "kel tik," although not for the same reason as you do.

• I always think of it as option number two, but various linguists have proven me wrong multiple times in the past. Still, old habits are hard to break.

• @selax_bot, on Dec 2 2006, 09:13 AM, said in Pronunciation of "Cythera":

I've always pronounce it "Sih-thera" personally, although I'm willing to bet that cache is probably correct in this case.

Oh, I never said I pronounce it that way. I'm another one for option 2.

@selax_bot, on Dec 2 2006, 09:13 AM, said in Pronunciation of "Cythera":

By the way, Jehezekel, I too pronounce celtic "kel tik," although not for the same reason as you do.

"Keltik" is correct.

• Ahem :p

This post has been edited by Percinator : 01 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

• I believe it was originally something a long the lines of what cache22 said originally, but it got distorted, spelled differently, etc., until it really has no pronounciation.

• @cache22_bot, on Dec 1 2006, 06:40 PM, said in Pronunciation of "Cythera":

Oh, I never said I pronounce it that way. I'm another one for option 2.

I meant that I thought that you were probably correct with the Greek pronunciation and that is was probably the correct one.

This post has been edited by Selax : 01 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

• My name is starts with Ci, so I am partial to to "Y", functioning as an "I" sound. s-I-th-r-uh, personally. The Ci combination makes the sound of "S" in english, but I have never seen "CY" before, so my judgment is the S sound.

• Cythera is greek, and was originally translated into roman letters (english) as Kythehra or something.

• what about the pronunciation of Alaric? is it Uh-Lair-ik, A-la-rick, and he says the cythrans were origionally from "your world"(our world), he lists an island in his opening speech.

• I reckon it's pronounced a-LAR-ick. I dunno why, but there you have it.

• I always pronounced it "A-la-ric," for no particular reason @_@

• It was round about that time when my sister and I discovered Catamarica was actually Catamarca.

This post has been edited by CrazyChick : 08 December 2006 - 09:52 PM

• Oh my turtle, my brother and I did that too! We also pronounced Cademia weird (I can't remember how, but my friend pronounces it "Camedia"), and we pronounced Pnyx "pen-ix." Actually I still do that last one @_@

• I still call it Catamarica. I pronounce Kosha CO-sha, with a long 'O'.