Stories and Stuff

• Global Moderator

Split from "New Game"

I'm not really certain what I'd like to see in a Cythera sequel—probably more people and more on Tavara.

By the way, I think that some of you would enjoy participating in TSs; if you are, I recommend looking at Jehezekel's post here. Of course, most TSs are more like Expanded Universe (EU is the abbreviation for this, I believe) to Cythera rather than sequels (i.e. they are lot like the Star Wars Expanded Universe books are to the Star Wars movies). The closest TS to a direct sequel that I can think of is the Alternate Universe (AU is the abbreviation for this, I believe, and what I mean is that this TS is not included in the official TS continuity) TS Once Again, which is a good read by the way.

• @selax_bot, on Dec 2 2006, 09:35 AM, said in Stories and Stuff:

By the way, I think that some of you would enjoy participating in TSs;

I thought about it, but my coughbeastlycough teacher gives me too much homework. What exactly do you have to do?

• @crazychick_bot, on Dec 6 2006, 09:43 PM, said in Stories and Stuff:

What exactly do you have to do?

Invent a character, and post in character as much or as little as you like. (Although we'd all prefer 'much'. ;) ). Most importantly, have fun.

• where are the TS post sites, There is the tavern, are there any others?

• At the moment, there's no TS running. Someone will probably start one in a month or two. The Tavern is kind of the 'catch all' location for all sorts of zaniness, to help keep interest up until a full TS is started. When a TS is running it usually gets made 'sticky', so that it appears in the top section of the topic list.

As you're already aware, past TS's and Taverns are linked to in the sticky 'Best of Cythera' topic, in case you want to study up on what generally goes on. I've noticed a few stories are missing, though.

• @crazychick_bot, on Dec 6 2006, 07:43 PM, said in Stories and Stuff:

I thought about it, but my coughbeastlycough teacher gives me too much homework. What exactly do you have to do?

Well your beastly teacher can go put that homework where it belongs! This weboard is now you sole purpose in life
    you must possstttt!!! said in a convincing and yet evil voice

I have to wait a month or two for a new TS!
    well arnt we feeling lazy today!

anyway I would suggest that you read through the most recent TS

http://www.ambrosias...howtopic=106817

Just ugh copy and paste, Im not so good with linking pages....

• Global Moderator

@selax_bot, on Dec 1 2006, 01:35 PM, said in Stories and Stuff:

The closest TS to a direct sequel that I can think of is the Alternate Universe TS Once Again, which is a good read by the way.

Actually, I'd say its more of an example why all-powerful characters are no fun.

@cache22_bot, on Dec 6 2006, 12:04 PM, said in Stories and Stuff:

As you're already aware, past TS's and Taverns are linked to in the sticky 'Best of Cythera' topic, in case you want to study up on what generally goes on. I've noticed a few stories are missing, though.

Which ones are missing? I can edit a few links in.

• @avatara_bot, on Dec 12 2006, 10:40 AM, said in Stories and Stuff:

Which ones are missing? I can edit a few links in.

Hmm, nested quotes have been disabled. Anyway, the two TSs whose absence I noticed probably weren't up to the necessary standard for a 'best of' list, but just in case you're going for completeness rather than quality, they were 'Omen's Return', and 'Bane'. There might well be others, that list still looks awfully short to me.

• Global Moderator

I don't remember either of those, but I'll look into them. The list was taken directly from the old archive topic list, so they probably didn't get archived.

I do know we didn't put up unfinished stories - ones that sort of died out without any real conclusion (which is why KL isn't up there), so if they don't have an ending, that might be why they got skipped the first time.

• I'm pretty sure both of those ended. Bane did, at least, although it was rather abrupt, and far sooner than it should have - the story was really only just getting started.

• Global Moderator

Here's what I found on my search list (ironically, searching for "Omen" brought all of these up, I think we overuse the word ;) ):

As stated, the big question here seems to be, do we go for quality with the archives, or completeness? I'd lean towards the latter, especially since a couple of the ones on the current list are there...well...for completeness. I don't see too much of a problem with Bane/Omen, they just seem to end abruptly (and be a bit light).

Stories that seem to be completed but were never archived:
    Omen's Return
    Bane

Stories that are unfinished (at this time I'm a bit unwilling to archive these, unless someone wants to go back and finish them):
    Journey to Auracti
    Tyrant's Ring - I have to say, I kind of miss Desert Fox posting three times in a row and having his content take up 3/4ths of the page. ;)
    Destruction of Omega 9
    The Alliance of Living Things
    The KL pair.

• whats the KL pair?

• The Kul'Shar Legacy series of invitational TSs, which unfortunately stalled towards the end of part two (due mainly to me losing interest, I think.)

• Global Moderator

@avatara_bot, on Dec 11 2006, 03:40 PM, said in Stories and Stuff:

Actually, I'd say its more of an example why all-powerful characters are no fun.

True, but I enjoyed the presence of armies, actual battles between them (as opposed to just a few group members battling an army alone although I have no problem with this either), and the destruction of cities (i.e. major changes to Cythera).

@avatara_bot, on Dec 11 2006, 04:13 PM, said in Stories and Stuff:

As stated, the big question here seems to be, do we go for quality with the archives, or completeness? I'd lean towards the latter, especially since a couple of the ones on the current list are there...well...for completeness. I don't see too much of a problem with Bane/Omen, they just seem to end abruptly (and be a bit light).

Personally, I'm fine with either, although it would be handy to have a list of the completed TSs. Perhaps, two archives could be set up—one for high quality topics that deserve archival and one as a list of the TSs? (Of course, this could be redundant, since quite a few topics would be in both.)

The Kul'Shar Legacy series of invitational TSs, which unfortunately stalled towards the end of part two (due mainly to me losing interest, I think.)

Indeed, I have always been curious to see how that series would have turned out.

EDIT: I repeat Avatara's above question (mainly due to lack of answers):

"As stated, the big question here seems to be, do we go for quality with the archives, or completeness?"

This post has been edited by Selax : 14 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

• Global Moderator

I'm probably going to add Omen's Ring and Bane to the current TS list on the archives topic. I just haven't yet because I'd like to clean out all the OoC posts first.

Personally, I'm fine with either, although it would be handy to have a list of the completed TSs. Perhaps, two archives could be set up—one for high quality topics that deserve archival and one as a list of the TSs?

Ditto :D :cool:

• The OoC posts get annoying. You can't concentrate.

• Global Moderator

Are there any more comments, suggestions, or questions on the archives and how they are done?

• Global Moderator

Bumping for myself mostly. Omen's Return has been cleaned up significantly, you can now find it in Selax's post in the archives.

Any comments or complaints or suggestions post here please. I'll start work on Bane soon.

• Global Moderator

So, is this the beginning of a mass TS clean-up? :)