Aloiphoi, redux

• I don't really remember how I got there, but I was going through the writings of the occultist Aleister Crowley (I'm not joining a cult, I swear), and I stumbled across some rather familiar stuff about wisdom and folly. I Google'd some of the other Aloiphos texts and found that all of them seem to be taken verbatim from Crowley's Book of the Law (Liber AL vel Legis or whatever). I have no idea if anyone else found this out before already, but I don't remember hearing about it and I figured this board needs some activity anyhow.

Some of the Aloiphoi actually seemed pretty relevant to Cythera, FD in particular, so I was a little surprised to find gandreas didn't even write them, but I guess he took out passages that fit in with the story or something.

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy : 09 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

• I looked in to the name again, but this time with initial stress (άλοιφος). This led to:
    διφθεράλοιφος (schoolmaster, teacher of writing)
    which seems to be attested in the Cypriot syllabary:
    ti-pe-ra-lo-i-po-ne
    That makes sense to me. I've speculated before that the Cytheran writing system was probably based on Linear A/B, not the Greek alphabet.

I'm joining a clut.
    Posted Image

• I'm joining a pltt.
    Posted Image

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy : 11 September 2014 - 02:46 AM

• Hmm, interesting find. This may have been mentioned before on irc (perhaps by Pallas?), but I don't recall for certain. There don't seem to be any topics that mention it.

(I'm waiting for someone to write a conspiracy theory about gandreas trying to use Cythera as a tool to brainwash people into joining a cult.)

• I've never heard of Aleister Crowley, but thanks for sharing your find! ^ ___^ I wonder if these writings influenced Gandreas' design for the Cytheran government, or if he stole the writings because they matched his design for the Cytheran government so closely?

• Do the Aloiphoi refer to Cythera's government? I thought they pertained to the mages.

• I was specifically thinking of Aloiphus FD (that Buzzy mentioned), which was about the government.

• To be honest, finding a direct connection in some of them (like J with its stuff about a frog and a quilt) is kind of a stretch, but there's scattered stuff that sort of sounds like Cytheran magic, or the elementals. I guess FD could be about the mages too, since the judges are mages, and the stuff about Houses doesn't really seem like Cythera's Houses. I dunno, it actually seems less obviously relevant on second look. Given mages' vague description of the Aloiphoi, I kind of doubt now that gandreas intended anyone to find substantial content in them.

Any clue what the letters mean?

• @buzzzzy_bot, on 17 September 2014 - 03:32 AM, said in Aloiphoi, redux:

Given mages' vague description of the Aloiphoi, I kind of doubt now that gandreas intended anyone to find substantial content in them.

Any clue what the letters mean?

I'm inclined to agree about the lack of substantial content. I think they are intended just to give cultural background and add depth to the game.

I suspect that the lettering is most likely some sort of ordering system.