#cythera !

• Ok, either the firewall that the jack @$$ installed is preventing me, or I'm to retarded to figure out how to use this...basicly, I downloaded it, and opened it, and opened everything in it, and the stupid things don't do anything. Can anyone help out this Linux newby?

------------------
    I am no one, and I am everyone. But most importantly, I am
    The One And Only:
    ~Theo Nean Donly~

• Okay, sorry for digging up the topic again , but I'd like to help Theo get on the IRC network. First, I believe that BitchX is text only. To connect to a server like that, type '/server irc.ambrosia.net' for example. Then, like Talos said, '/join #cythera'. There are other channels out there, and a '/list' can reveal them. Some channels that have a channel mode of +s can't be seen with a '/list'. In that case, you just need to know the name of the channel. #ev3 is the primary chat channel, although it can get a little....strange. Hope this helps!

------------------
    Those who know the truth are not up to those who love it; those who love the truth are not up to those who delight in it.
    -- Confucius (a.k.a. Kong Fuzi)
    ------------------
    Battle.Net Screen Name: ev3-ferazel The Game: StarCraft

• Hmm, what net is the channel on?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it... :)

------------------
    When Hell is full, the dead will walk the Earth.

(This message has been edited by Rogan (edited 12-26-2001).)

• Rogan, saw you on my logs after I returned from Brood War. :) You going to come again? Me, cache, Slayer, Talos, Avatara, Kestral, and idiotSavant all come on quite a bit. Hope to see you again!

------------------
    Those who know the truth are not up to those who love it; those who love the truth are not up to those who delight in it.
    -- Confucius (a.k.a. Kong Fuzi)
    ------------------
    Battle.Net Screen Name: ev3-ferazel The Game: StarCraft

• I have read that IRC leaves extra ports which makes the computer more vulnerable to hacking. Is there a way to deal with this?

• Firewall, I s'pose.

• im there quite often, if you are up for being there

• I am there constantly, although if you expect me to talk, your time range is a little more restricted.

• I am using an internet router which works like a firewall and OS X on iMac G3. Is there good IRC client or feature in OS X which will make sure that I do not have more open port than necessary?

This post has been edited by Selax : 09 September 2004 - 07:46 PM

• Have you tried connecting yet? I don't think having a firewall should make a difference, unless you want to transfer files. You're initiating a TCP connection to the server, not the other way around; no ports will be opened.

As to a client, I'd recommend X-Chat Aqua, but then again, it's a fairly heavy-duty client, and perhaps not the best choice if you're not already familiar with irc.

• Ok, I am on using X-Chat Auqa but how does IRC itself work?

• I see you were on #cythera just a minute ago - so apparently you already have figured out how to connect to a server and join a channel. From there, it's pretty simple: Talk by typing in the box next to your name, and press enter. In order to do a command, you write "/ command etc"

For example, you would say "/me does an action" to do an action, or "/join #channel" to join another channel. You can get a full list of commands in X-Chat with "/help", and enter in "/help join" to get help on the join command.

• Hm, might I ask what or who you two (Salex and Wizard) are looking for? You two come online and leave after a few seconds.

• The main reason I (and I think that this true of the Wizard as well) want IRC is to be able to discuss twists in TS's and STS's.

• Bring it up next time you're on. DesertFox, myself, and Pallas/Sfiera won't mind if you start asking questions or attempt to change the topic. By all means, speak up. (if nobody is around, you'll find out really quick) The topic of conversation tends to be whatever in order to stave off boredom anyway.

Hm, might I ask what or who you two (Salex and Wizard) are looking for? You two come online and leave after a few seconds.

There is one primary reason that I connected to IRC.

1. Selax is right. I wish to have alternative communication with other members to talk about TS, STS, and Endless Game/Story.

There is another reason that explains why I come on and go off.

1. I come on shortly to see if there is activity. I probably end up coming on in-between people's thinking time, but if it is busy, there will be just about constant activity. I don't have a lot of time always and I don't want to sit too long waiting for members to respond, but if I have something important to say, I'll bring it up. If no one is around, then I'll mention it later.

• I'm there right now under the nick Frinkruds. Hope to see some of you around there sometime. :)

• The Wizard, on Sep 11 2004, 07:47 PM, said:

1. I come on shortly to see if there is activity. I probably end up coming on in-between people's thinking time, but if it is busy, there will be just about constant activity. I don't have a lot of time always and I don't want to sit too long waiting for members to respond, but if I have something important to say, I'll bring it up. If no one is around, then I'll mention it later.
      View Post

There aren't enough people to have constant activity. However, some poor souls camp out all day waiting for others to come on; and some people use IRC while they are at their computer doing other things. (I'm usually surfing/doing homework/messing with iTunes and Azureus while I'm on IRC) If that's the case, a good time to wait is around two minutes, gives others long enough to realize someone has joined the channel.

Many people there talk about other things (oftentimes not Cythera-related, usually occurrences in our lives), so if you do join and the topic is something like that, that's why. However, all #cytherians (with the exception of Taylor, andy, and momentarily Pallas*) are also in the story, so bringing up a question or a proposal won't result in an army of secret ninjas sent to your house for causing a disruption. Its IRC, interrupt the conversation, we won't bite. :)

Another thing to keep in mind, if someone's talking, you ask a question, and then there's dead silence for 15 minutes - its probably not your fault, something may have happened. Like in my case, I freaked someone out because I was silent for so long, when the real reason was I had spilled water all over my laptop and was attempting to hunt down towels to dry it out before it did too much damage.

• If you spilled water on your laptop... I think others have a right to be a bit freaked out. I might just get distracted, though.

• Dled it, im on as of now...
    Oh whiat is that "ICQ #" thing, its in the thing, say when u click my name, it says: "aim- Acrolek...ICQ #-...." so what is that?

(Mike: the os9 one u have on this comp doesnt work...grr.... :mad: )

-Dark Jet

This post has been edited by Dark Jet : 12 September 2004 - 12:55 PM