The Riddle-Master of Hed

• From watching the stream I saw Gandreas list this book as an inspiration for the plot of Cythera (along with a minor in history).

Here's the wiki for the book:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riddle-Master_of_Hed

"Each ruler has a mystical awareness of his or her land: the land-rule. The seldom-seen High One presides over all."

Definitely qualities of the Land King.

The plot summary says that the main villains are shape shifters and that one may even be posing as the high one. Which sounds a lot like the Undine and the plot of the game's antagonists.

Additionally, the world map for the books looks similar:
    alt text

I didn't find much else looking at the summary of the two sequels but if anyone has read these books or plans too I would love to hear any more insights.

• I read the trilogy shortly after the stream. I enjoyed it. I didn’t start a discussion topic though because if no one else has read it it would just be spoilers.

I would add—the principal antagonists come from the sea, and there are ruins of the Earth-Masters scattered around. I think most of the Cythera parallels surface by the end of the first book, and after that they diverge a bit more.

• Now this is very interesting! I didn't notice that reference, but it does sound an awful lot like aspects of Cythera's story come from there.

Spoil away, Pallas! I don't know that I'll get around to reading the books, but I am curious about a couple things. Two Jacks mentions that the high one may actually be a shapeshifter in disguise. Is that the case? Cause it makes us question a lot more about Alaric... Although I'm not sure that gandreas would go that far as having Alaric be an Undine, especially if Cythera II would have had Magpie bemoaning Alaric's death. Plus we have the main storyline of the Undine trying to take control of Alaric.

But I do wonder about a twist on that theme. For instance, what if Jhiaxus had been killed along with Jinrai and the one we meet is actually an Undine pretending to be Jhiaxus? Seems odd there were the two beds there but only one died? Gandreas repeatedly warned not to trust Jhiaxus, at least that was my perception of his comments, and it would make sense of everything: gandreas' warnings, the story of the two inseparable lovers being separated, and the eventual downfall of Alaric after our hero has thought to have saved him.

Edit: I was trying to set up spoiler tags, but the main package relies on websockets and dynamic nodebb, which I don't really have configured, so for now we'll just have to warn about spoilers if people don't want them.

Edit 2: Also good call, Two Jacks, about the similarity of the maps!

• I haven't read the books, but I also read through the Wikipedia summaries a few days ago (I'm not really bothered by spoilers as a general rule), looking for clues relating to the prophecies. I didn't find much, but I did notice Ghisteslwchlohm ("an ancient, evil wizard and traitor from ages past") reminded me of Tavara. So this part seemed interesting:

Sensing a powerful, dangerous force in pursuit across her land, Raederle uses her abilities to confound it, thinking she is protecting Morgon; but discovers that the force she thought was Ghisteslwchlohm is Morgon himself, who has stolen much of Ghisteslwchlohm's power during his long captivity, while the helpless man he pursued was Deth, who betrayed him.

Morgon seems to be the protagonist of the first book. gandreas said "Tavara" is an anagram of/reference to "Avatar," the player character in the Ultima games…

• @Buzzzzy said in The Riddle-Master of Hed:

Morgon seems to be the protagonist of the first book. gandreas said "Tavara" is an anagram of/reference to "Avatar," the player character in the Ultima games…

Maybe some insight could be gained by looking at that character as well...